Level: grades 5-8, but can be adapted for older and younger students
Learning Objective: Students will identify places with night lighting
all around the globe and hypothesize what these bright areas indicate.
Specific Science Content Standards
Earth Update: Biosphere
- Changes in earth and sky (grades K-4)
- Understandings about science and technology
- Populations and ecosystems
- Populations, resources and environments
- Risks and benefits
- Geography: mapping, analyzing, predicting spatial data
Introducing the activity:
Ask students what they think their city or town looks like from space
- especially at night. Some students may have flown on an airplane
at night so they would have a good idea. Tell students that they are
about to fly over the earth and map the night lights below.